About

My photo
I often get paid to make people fat,However, I pay even more to get fatter.

Tuesday 3 May 2011

South Indian Thali!



I’m a proud Pakistani and I love my cuisine.
Like all of us I grew up saying what all Pakistanis say “My mom makes the best biryani!” . In general, we also believe that our food is better than any other “Desi” cuisine…particularly the Indian Cuisine and we don’t just believe that, we’ve been instilled with this very thought in general .
A very unpleasant picture just like the bogey man my mom used to scare me with to get me to sleep. As I grew up I realized the crazy bogey man image was just as ridiculous as the misconception about Indian Cuisine. Only difference is the enlightenment in my knowledge about Indian Cuisine, South Indian in particular was a recent incident.
Thanks to Poppy Agha, Before 2 decades of my existence had passed I discovered what I was missing.
My 5th week at PCI - as fast and wonderfully as they've gone by, I must be honest, I wasn't looking forward to my South Indian basics class because of the concept I've grown up with.

Our class began like always with a little flash back of the heritage and the divisions of South India and North India and their range of sub and main cuisines. It helps set the mood while also helping us understand the difference in cuisines cooked earlier hence making it easier to understand different methods and techniques that can be used with similar ingredients. As our counters were setup, I was a little put off by the amount of coconut oil (essential part of South Indian food) and coconut put across. But I didn’t let that deter me – I proceeded to cook up a gorgeous looking Thali and read on to find out how it tasted.


Thali:
Chettinad Chicken Khuzambu (Wet sauce-Tamil Cuisine)
Rasam
Maddur Vada
Pongol

Before starting, we made our own mixed spice also called Milagai Thool, essentially used in any South Indian house which we Pakistani’s refer to as garam masala.
Melagai thool:
Ingredients:
4 dried red chilies
2tsps coriander seed
1 tsp. black peppercorn
2 tsp. zeera
1/2 tsp. methi/fenugreek
4 curry leaves
1/2 tsp. turmeric
Method:
Roast the all the spices except the turmeric as it cooks faster. Once you notice the zeera changing color turn off heat and pop them in the blender with you turmeric and grind them and keep aside.

Chettinad Chicken Khuzambu
Ingredients
Chicken boneless- Cut into bite size pieces
2tbsps Ginger- Slice half a ginger and Mince finely (Cut into very small pieces)
5 baby onions-all cut into half
2 green chilies- slit the chili
2 tsps. dried red chilies
2 tsps coriander powder
2 tbsps. Grated coconut
2 tbsps. Cashew nuts- roughly chop
1 piece cinnamon (Daal Cheeni)
1 tsp. fennel seeds
2 cloves
1tbsp fresh mint
2 curry leaves 
4 garlic pods - Minced finely (very tiny pieces)
Coconut Oil
Milagae Thool

Method:
Add Coconut oil in a deep pan cover the bottom layer, add garlic, ginger, 2tbsp of mixed spices, coriander powder, dried chilli, grated coconut, fenel seeds then add chicken and mix till it coats the chicken.
Add half cup of water, onions, green chili and cinnamon stick and mix well then add one tbsp. of coconut powder leveled.

Before serving add a little water for it to blend.

My take:
When the coconut oil was cooking, it was a very different aroma to take in for me but it gradually wears on you and the end result, chettinad Chicken was delicious! It had a completely different taste then our normal chicken curry.



Rasam:
Ingredients:
2 tbsps. Tomato paste
1 tsp. tamarind paste- Imli (dissolve this in a cup of water)
2 pods garlic- minced
1 dried red chili
4 curry leaves
1tbsp coriander leaves
1 tsp. mustard seeds
1 tsp. cumin/zeera ground
1tsp black peppercorns ground
3tsp brown sugar or Gurr

Method:
Add 2 Tbsp. of coconut oil, garlic, tomato paste and 2 cups of water.
Add red chili, 1 tsp. salt and brown sugar and stir slowly.
Add 2 curry leaves, Milagae Thool and 1tsp of brown sugar. Let it cook
Ending it with a "Tarka" basically means to season by popping spices in a pan and adding to the dish.
In another pan, add 1tsp mustard seed, 1tsp zeera, 2 curry leaves. Just when the spices release a lovely smell. Pop them into the Rasam. Don't stir. Stir slightly while serving to maintain the flavors of the Tarka.

My take:
It’s like a hint of lovely Indian tomato soup! I absolutely loved it. Apparently what we cooked is just an easier version of Rasam.  Regardless, I'm a fan! This dish is served for/with any meal, eaten hot or cold as a main dish with rice preferably Pongol (one type you'll learn ahead) or appetizer. Suit yourself;]!


Maddur Vadda
Vadda is traditionally made from dal, lentil, gram flour or potato.
The Vadda I made is known as Maddur Vadda made from onion.
Ingredients:
1/2 cup mixed flour- rice flour/maida / sooji
1tsp cumin seeds
2-3 green chilies- chopped small
2 baby onions- 2 minced finely and 1 sliced (to keep the texture)
2-5 tbsp. of coconut oil

Method:
To a bowl of flour pop in minced and sliced onions add cumin and add 2-3 tbsp. of water. It's like making a kebab, do not over add the water as it will make the batter too sticky. Add half tsp. of salt.
Add green chili and mix.
Take portions of the batter and make flattened Vaddas'. They need not be in a perfect shape just traditionally flatter than the kebabs.
Fry them in 2 tbsp. of coconut and 4 tbsp. of normal oil. We combined two oils just so the entire Thali doesn't have the same aroma or similar flavor. Fry them until they are brown on both sides just like in the picture.

My take:
I wasn't too sure about the Vadda's. I don't eat Pakora's or onion rings with pleasure yet I had a go at my Vadda’s like there’s no tomorrow! I dipped them in Rasam and they were just so scrumptious!


Best for Last!
Pongol
I am a fan of rice! I like rice with all my curry meals or anything that goes! I can even eat yogurt and plain rice! My brothers often tell me I was adopted from a Bengali family which means all types of rice are welcomed to be tried out by me!
Ingredients:
Rice- half cup dipped in water for at least 30 minutes
Coconut oil and cooking oil
Ginger quarter minced
4 garlic pods- minced
1tsp of Milagai Thool

Add 2 tbsp. of coconut oil and 2 tbsp. of cooking oil. Add ginger and garlic. Drain water out and add the rice to the pan. Add Milagai Thool and half cup water. Mix
Let this cook, as soon as you see the water is reducing add half cup more. You'll notice in a minute while stirring that your rice has started to expand. Just as more water is absorbed, add half cup more and stir. Repeat it if needed one last time, it should be expanded and sticking together in luscious shades of pink and brown.
My take:
Oh dear!! You don't need any curry or anything to have with it! It’s that good!! I tried with the Chettinad Chicken and also with the Rasam. It tasted divine with both. I specially loved it with the Rasam. It's crazy how Rasam can be eaten/served in so many ways!




Overall take on the Thali
It was a wonderful dish; however we did not use asafetida also known as hing which is widely used for South Indian cuisines. That might be a huge jump of cultures. However, This Modernize Thaali that we made was not only a surprise to my taste buds but also a distinctive Desi experience. I'm definitely looking forward to trying out other endless range of cuisine our neighboring country has to offer us.
Picture by Niha.H Dagia


Bon Appetite

Bubble bursting-ly yours
-A-




7 comments:

  1. Awesome post! I was also kind of upset by the Express Tribune introduction on this post and though I am sad it was put in by whoever edited it that way, I am GLAD to read it wasn't your personal words...beautiful pics! Happy cooking to you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou so much Fatima. I oddly just saw this. Ive been way for a long time. Thanks again:)

      Delete
  2. such beautiful pics making users pleading for food all the time they see it....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I know long time coming but thank you :)

      Delete
  3. Great work. It is always good to keep misconceptions and prejudices aside, get adventurous and prepare great food from around the world. I am Indian and I think you should go and promote this cuisine in Pakistan.

    Just one thing. I know the pronunciations and spellings vary but PONGOL is actually PONGAL. Also, when you make Chettinad Chicken, have it with Appam (It is a kind of Dosa, made of rice here in India, I think it's called Hoppers in Sri Lanka). You may find the recipe of the same on youtube. Also, Rasam has many variants: You may make thakkali rasam (Tomato rasam) or Chundal Rasam (with green peas), Jeera Rasam. Traditionally in south Indian households, Rasam is staple food but it is consumed as a drink when you have cold n cough. Helps clear the congestion. Jeera (Zeera) Rasam is best for this. Try Avial from Kerala as well. Mutton or Lamb stew and Appam from Kerala. Good going. Cheers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Another must with south Indian items such as idli and dosa is 'Molaga Podi', otherwise popularly known as gun powder. Molaga means Red Chilli and Podi is powder. You add either ghee or sesame oil (til ka tel) to it, mix it well and have it with idli, dosa etc. And i guarantee, it will transport you to heaven :) (In a good way lol)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Rohan! That's very enlightening! Appreciate the comment. I will definitely research more into it . Thanks for the head start!

      Delete